04/08/2012

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins


My mum has a huge vegetable garden, like huuuuuuge...there's even a potato field. And come summer, she switches to a full-time job in zucchini harvesting. So. Many. Zucchini.

They were turned into zucchini cream soup, fried zucchini, stuffed zucchini, roasted zucchini, zucchini in all variations. But it seemed like there was no way of getting rid of all the zucchini and after a while even the neighbours were fed up with them.

That's how the zucchini stopped being savoury and began ending up in my mum's chocolate cake.
My sister and me didn't like to admit it because, you know, there's healthy stuff in it....ewww....but that cake was heavenly. Thank you mummy!

So this recipe is an attempt to recreate my mum's chocolate zucchini cake. I think she would be pleased with the result :)

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (makes 6 muffins)
1/2 cup chopped zucchini
1 egg
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp oil
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Blend the chopped zucchini with 1 tablespoon of water as smooth as possible. Look for a sauce-like consistency.
Mix together the zucchini, egg, oil and sugar. Add the dry ingredients. Fold in the walnuts.

Bake for approximately 25 minutes at 175C.


4 comments:

  1. My nephew is staying with us for the summer and I am on a mission to make him fall in love with veggies. I think I just found the best weapon to do just that. I love this muffin recipe.
    Anyhoo, we have been keeping an eye out for unique and interesting bloggers with phenomenal photography skills, and yours caught our attention! We have just recently launched a food photo submission gallery http://www.yumgoggle.com/gallery/ that allows you to showcase all your great work and share it with all of our visitors. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he will like them! Trust me, you don't even notice the zucchini in it :)
      And thanks for the link, I have already signed up and submitted a photo. Great website, keep up the good work!

      Delete
  2. I really like using courgette (zucchini) in baking - it makes cakes so moist, like carrot cake. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it!! ....And it totally makes it healthy too ;)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...