14/09/2012

Oat-less Breakfast with Polenta


Right, if I have the choice I always, always opt for porridge when it comes to breakfast. Or muesli. Or granola, that's a favourite too.
These brekkies give me comfort. They feel like a big hug on a cold morning telling me that it's going to be a good day. Anyone agree?
No? Okay.....but you got to admit that porridge and friends are simple, they are quick to whip up, and there are so many ways to customise them.

That's why we like porridge. But sometimes you just gotta get out of a rut and be daring and adventurous to jazz up your life a little. That's why we are having polenta today.
I'll admit, I am also a little bit afraid that I might get sick of porridge eventually if I have it day in-day out (I know right!?!?).

Polenta is totally an adventurous terrain for me. I have never had it before because I was so convinced that I would absolutely hate it. But we're getting out of our comfort zones, we are fearless bastards today!!!























Polenta with Spinach, Asparagus, Mushroom Sauce, and a Poached Egg
To cook the polenta, add about 1 and 1/2 cups of water to every 1 cup of polenta. For one person I only used 1/2 cup of polenta and 3/4 cup of water.
Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and stir the polenta constantly until it is a thick paste (about 5 minutes). Season the polenta with salt, pepper, and if you a tablespoon of butter, some parmesan or a splash of milk for creaminess.

For the asparagus, just "roast" the asparagus lightly in a pan with 1 tablespoon of butter, salt and pepper.
If you like your spinach a little wilted, add it to the asparagus for about 30 seconds.

For the mushroom sauce, fry about 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms (I used one big portobello mushroom) in a tablespoon of butter. Season with salt, pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and thyme (parsley would be nice as well). To finish the mushrooms off, add about 1 tablespoon of sour cream, or cream to give it more texture. Blend the mushrooms for a thick sauce or leave them as they are for a lovely ragĂș.

To poach the egg, bring a pot of water to a boil. Add salt and about 1 teaspoon of vinegar into the water. Crack the egg first into a separate bowl and then carefully drop the egg into the water.



Even though oats did not make an appearance this morning, I was fully satisfied with this brekkie concoction. Polenta might be a winner.....I'll definitely have more polenta recipes up in the future!!

2 comments:

  1. this looks and sounds like a great option. i made the mistake of going to the grocery store when i was hungry and in a sugar low...i bought smacks cereal! what was i doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you also eat them dry and straight out of the carton? .....Yeah, we all have those moments....

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...